Freddie is a large passenger tank engine.
Freddie was built at Derby Works on June 27th, 1929. Not much is known of his early life, besides rumours that Freddie was created in a chemical spillage in Surrey, according to Gary.
Bio in Gary the Steam EngineEdit
One day, Freddie was sent off to look for a clitoris by Gary to get him to go away. Whilst searching, he was told by Gold-Buffer to search for it at Barry Island, where he found himself being put on a scrapline before being rescued by Gary and Flying Scotsman.
Bio in The Dark Railway SeriesEdit
At some time in the 1950's, he was transferred to Newport, Wales, where he met Gary. The two engines became best friends, for some reason, and have gotten into various misadventures since, including a visit to the Dark Railway in 1962, where Freddie, somehow masquerading as a Standard 4MT tank, believed Brian to be his brother. During this visit, Freddie almost threw himself off Walschurch Viaduct on Brian's orders, but got scared before he could jump and ran away. After spending Christmas at the railway, Freddie returned to Newport.
Although Freddie means well, he is very unintelligent and dimwitted, allowing himself to be ordered to do stupid things by his friends and foes. However, he can show flashes of intelligence in rare circumstances.
Freddie is painted in British Railways lined black livery with the late crest.
Freddie is based on a LMS Fowler Class 4P 2-6-4T, used for suburban passenger work. In his appearances in The Missing Christmas Presents and Zombies!, he was based on a British Railways Standard Class 4MT 2-6-4T, like Brian and Brain.
Gary the Steam EngineEdit
- Series 1 - A Great Problem F***s Off
The Dark Railway Series Edit
- Freddie was one of the main characters in the Angry Welshman Productions series Gary the Steam Engine. After Rhys Davies announced that the series would not be returning to AWP as was previously intended, Dark DJ announced in 2016 that Gary the Steam Engine would now be produced by Dark DJ Productions with permission from Rhys Davies. The series will return to YouTube in 2017. In the rebooted series, Freddie will now be voiced by Thomas Dibden, aka Dark DJ.
- Freddie's stint as a BR Standard 4MT came about due to the fact that no model of a Fowler 4P tank engine existed in Train Simulator until 2012/2013. For a similar reason, when Gary the Steam Engine was first filmed in Rail Simulator, Freddie was based on a LMS Ivatt Class 2MT 2-6-2T.
- The story behind Freddie's creation was mentioned in the trailer for the second series' of The Dark Railway Series and Gary the Steam Engine, in which Brian and Raymond appeared. It is also mentioned in the first episode of the reboot series.
- The locomotive that had Freddie's number, 42355, was withdrawn from active duty on November 30th, 1963 and was cut up at Crewe Works on December 31st of that year.
|Gary the Steam Engine Characters|
|Gary • Freddie • Flying Scotsman • Neil • Jason • Alfred • Arnold|
|Lars • Rupert • Gold-Buffer|